My Latest Obsession: Argan Oil

21 Sep

Over the past 5-8 years, I’ve been buying the best face creams that money can buy. Creme de la Mer, Jurlique, Dr. Hauschka, Fresh, Sisley…you name a crazy-priced brand and I’ve bought vats of their creams. Some worked better than others, but all of them left me feeling like I dished out more cash than I was getting back in results. The one that came closest to perfection for me was Creme de la Mer, but along with the hydration/elasticity I was getting fairly frequent breakouts because the thickness of the cream blocked my pores something fierce (even the lighter version).

But one thing I never considered trying was oil. I figured that oil was, well, oily. My skin is that oh-so-maddening combination of oily and dry all at once. I need moisture++ to keep the elasticity, but too much moisture blocks my pores and gives me blemishes. I had people suggest trying oils, but my own image of oil was always negative.

What started to change my mind is a deluxe sample I received on one of my trips to Sephora. I have something like 25 gabillion points, which I refuse to cash in on (I’m holding out for some luxury spa vacation package – the big kahuna!). While checking out during my birthday month this summer, the cosmetic consultant handed me the usual philosophy birthday bubble thing and upon looking at my points, offered up a free sample of Josie Maran’s Argan Oil. It was a freebie, so I took her up on it.

It sat in my overpopulated skincare drawer (full of partially used products) for a couple of weeks until I ran out of whichever expensive cream I was using at the time. Upon realizing I had nothing to moisturize with, I thought I’d give it a whirl for one night to see what would happen. And what happened was nothing short of miraculous!

Sure, it went on oily. My boyfriend said he felt as if he was crawling into bed with an Exxon Valdez activist. But in the morning, it had absorbed nicely into my skin and when I looked at my reflection in the bathroom mirror I saw an even, smooth skinned woman looking back at me (usually I wake up blotchy and puffy). Thinking it was just a fluke, I tried again the next night and, sure enough, I woke up looking fresh and more even-toned again.

After a few weeks, my skin felt more taught than usual. I swear my jowls were receding. There were no breakouts. And best of all, I stopped wearing full-on foundation and started wearing a wee bit of tinted sunscreen instead. I was hooked! I immediately went online to research what I had discovered and it turns out that Argan Oil is one of those ‘best kept secrets’. I also didn’t know this right off the bat, but it is otherwise known as Moroccan Oil – the same stuff that is being raved about for hair repair (and works…I’ve been using it since).

I also discovered that Josie Maran isn’t the only one who produces cosmetics based on this miracle oil. I can buy it for super cheap at my local health food store (about $25 for 4 oz – sure beats $135/oz!). I still buy from Josie’s line whenever I can because she has a great mission to support the women who harvest this oil in Morocco, but when I can’t get to a Sephora or I’m feeling a little cheapskatey, I’ll pop into the local Rachelle Bery to pick up my supply. I use it for my face, my turkey neck, my decollete and my hair – so I sail through my supply pretty quickly.

I’m completely hooked and I’m super excited that I found something that works that doesn’t cost me more than my rent to use. Have you used Argan Oil or Moroccan Oil? If so, what do YOU think? Do you have any more ‘best kept secrets’ you want to share with me?

Would love to hear your comments below. I’m also sending out an open invitation for women age 35-55 to contribute posts to this blog. There seems to be such a demand already (I’m getting tons of emails and messages of excitement) that I think we could build a great resource!

26 Responses to “My Latest Obsession: Argan Oil”

1. Elise September 21, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

I’ve used Moroccan Oil for my hair and never imagined it could do wonders for my skin as well. Very interesting article, Tara! I’ll give it a try. :)

• Karen O'Brien September 22, 2011 at 6:06 am #

I’ve also used Argon oil for my hair and loved it – I’m running to Sephora to get some of this :-)

2. Kathy Sierra September 21, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

Off to try some Argan Oil! I will let you know how it goes. I didn’t even realize you were doing this blog, and I already love it :). I also hope others contribute, though I am only two years from your age limit of 55. I still feel the same way about all this as I did at 40, though it is now more challenging and requires creativity and consistency.

• Miss Rogue September 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

Kathy! So amazing to hear from you! I’d be honored to have you post here. I only put 55 as the upper limit as a guideline. You don’t look a day over 35!

3. Meg Fowler (@megfowler) September 21, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

I tend to be the go-to cosmetic queen for my friends, helping them answer dry skin/oily skin/tired skin/weird hair/what shade eyeshadow/what style hair questions and concerns. Why me? Sephora addict (I can’t live up to your expensive creams reputation, but I research everything, and buy well), magazine addict (if something has been written about beauty-wise, I’ve read it) and I listen when people tell me something works, and I store it away. It might not work for ME… but you never know about someone else. I’ve also had major autoimmune issues, so I’ve had to solve some pretty weird skin problems over the years.

I’m 37 (yoinks) with a 34 year old fiance I’m marrying in a month, so I don’t think I’ll give in to aging quite yet, either. :)

• Miss Rogue September 21, 2011 at 9:49 pm #

Meg! I’d be uber honored to have you as a contributor here. :)

4. Georgiana Muniz September 21, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

I, like you, have always been skeptical of oils in my face but after reading a lot of good reviews online about coconut oil I decided to try it. I have not tried the Moroccan oil (it will be next on my list) but I am really impressed with the results of coconut oil (specially diminishing wrinkles). The smell is really good as well.

5. ariemoyal September 21, 2011 at 11:30 pm #

I grew up having Argan Oil in salads but I suppose it would be good for your skin – Apparently hummus is good as a facemask too LOL

6. Amie Gillingham September 21, 2011 at 11:43 pm #

As someone who hit he big 4-0 two days ago, I’ll be watching this blog with interest. My milestone has got me to thinking about when did I make the shift from wanting make-up to make me look older to skincare to help me look as young as a feel? I wish I could pinpoint that day since it seems like an important one. But in the interim, as someone with similar skin issues, I’ll have to give this tip a try. I’ll let you know how it goes!

7. robynandindia September 22, 2011 at 1:03 am #

Hey Tara… I’m also a huge advocate of moroccan oil for hair – it’s like magic! Looking forward to trying some for skin, since I have more wrinkles and worry lines than I’m comfortable with for 32.

8. Marianne Hunt September 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Having reached 62 I now realize that my shoes will never match my outfit. I always figured I’d be grown up when that happened. I base my fashion sense on “Does it itch or annoy me”. That would include heels. There is no oil or cream in the universe that can reverse my wrinkles but they match my faded eyes so all is good. The good thing is that inside I still feel like I did when I was 21. I have so much advice to dole out but no one wants it so I just talk to myself and then I ignore it too. I have used Clinique forever and they have bonuses so I have a godzillion makeup cases now plus lipstick colours I can’t use. I have taken them on trips and doled them out to people that can’t afford cosmetics. I think the most important thing is to never lose the bounce in ones step and keep active. My grandson once said that I looked more like a mom than a grandma (oma) and before I could look smug he added that I had lots of wrinkles but it was because I could sure run fast. I am also amazed that people want to inject botox and walk around with unexpressive paralyzed faces. I have a degree in Microbiology and putting the same stuff in your body that causes botulism is rather weird. It is time we embrace aging as a graceful process and stop making older women invisible. We have acquired some wisdom along the way and we do not like to be ignored and put on the back burner. Don’t call us “cute” which usually means we are annoying and should not have an opinion. To all the 30, 40 and 50 year olds….make the most of your youth because so very soon you will look back and say “Wow I sure looked young back then”

• Stef. Sullivan Rewis (@stefsull) September 28, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

I would LOVE to see you write a blog post fleshing out the above… and at 50, I’d LOVE to hear your advice—even though I’ve never been very good at following advice. You made me giggle…

9. missylew September 22, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

Just found your blog and loving it! I am turning 42 in, ugh, 9 days, and I think I am going to use your tricks more than I would like to admit. I have been using Argan/Moroccan oil on my hair for a few months now and it is fantastic. I get a really reasonable bottle at Walgreen’s, Organix brand, and it is wonderful. I am going to try it on my face tonight. Ihave moved from New Orleans, to Wichita, KS and now to Tucson AZ over the last 7 years, and my hair and skin are having fits, going from 90% humidity down to 9%. I am forever on a quest to not be a lizard lady!! Thank you, thank you!!

10. Monika September 23, 2011 at 1:02 am #

Thank you for your blog Tara – great “tongue in cheek” posts.

I really hate my lip lines and have had them since my early thirties even though I’m not a smoker and don’t use straws.

With regard to the turkey neck, agree on using a great natural oil but neck exercises are also effective – the results aren’t as dramatic as surgery but you will see a noticeable difference http://www.flexeffect.com/ and you do need a time commitment.

11. michele September 23, 2011 at 11:37 am #

Thanks for posting Tara! I’ve been using Argan oil for a couple of years for my hair (super fine and tends to flyaway) and hands as they get super dry and it’s the only thing that tends to keep my cuticles soft. I tried it on my face last night and wow! Holy results batman – soft, supple and well-balanced! Definitely a keeper!

12. missylew September 23, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

OMG Thank you!! I used the argan oil last night on my face, neck and chest and I definately saw a difference in my face this morning. My skin tone was more even and even after washing my face it still felt smoother and hydrated. I patted on a tiny bit more before I put on my makeup this morning and my face feels great! I will definately keep using it. Bring on the advice, I am going to follow all of it!

13. Hoda January 17, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Hello!
    I love your blog.. I am Moroccan living in San Diego, CA
    Although, I watched for years, women (and some men) oil their hair, face and bodies with Argan, I didn’t escape my own period of using harsh products for the very same purposes. The burning hair dyes, the never ending cycles of buying the always one up miracle cream.
    I went back to Morocco for a year & a half, and changed everything!
    I went back to using Natural products, that my mom, aunts and everyone in my family were using, and I absolutely fell in love with Argan Oil, It is simply THE BEST!
    And from there came ArgaWise, a skincare line made with 100% Pure, Organic Argan Oil.
    You can check us out at : http://www.argawise.com

Have a fabulous day everyone!

14. Jackie November 8, 2013 at 1:25 am #

I just started using Josie Marin argon oil because I was looking old. I am 47 yrs old and people think I look 40. My skin is glowing and fine lines are going away.
    Love this stuff will never go back to OTC moisturizers again

15. lynne January 24, 2014 at 7:32 am #

I am using Josie Moran’s Argan oil and have been for a little over a year ( bought from QVC) and still see wrinkles emerge and no tightening of the jowls in sight. It’s as useful as any moisturizer I have used in the past..keeping my skin moist but still see wrinkles slowly appear and deepen.

• Tara Hunt January 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm #

That’s good to know, Lynne! Thanks! Is there another product you would recommend?

16. jenny January 24, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

Yes I have been using Moroccan argan oil for about 4 months now and not only my face is moisturized but is acne free and my under eyes pocket/puffiness has diminished, me eyebrows are fuller and the best of all, me eyelashes had grown not only stronger but fuller and long, very long.

• Tara Hunt January 24, 2014 at 4:23 pm #

Very cool. Is that the brand? Or is there another specific brand you use?

• Jackie January 24, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

I use Josie Marin Argon Oil.
        You can get it at an Ulta store or QVC.com

17. Hanna Jackson (@jackson6357) February 19, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

Yeah, argan oil is great for the hair. I like the one from pro naturals!

18. Juanita Thomas August 3, 2014 at 5:43 am #

I just ordered some Argan Oil for my skin and hair. I take a regimen of vitamins, exercise at the gym on a daily basis and do facial exercises, Eva Fraser’s to be exact, Eva is 84 and looks to be in her 50’s. It takes about 7 months to start seeing the drastic results, but they work.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Turkey Neck « Aging Ungracefully - September 22, 2011

[...] I’ve already gone on and on about Argan Oil, so I won’t repeat that here (just click through if you haven’t read my suggestions), but Argan Oil isn’t the only oil that seems to do the trick on neck and chest. You can also try: [...]